Dr. Chaur-Dong Hsu is a Professor with Tenure and the Department Chair. Dr. Hsu also serves as the Project Site Consultant for the Perinatology Research Branch, National Institutes of Health. Dr. Hsu is a renowned figure in the field of Maternal-Fetal Medicine. He has the significant administrative, academic, and clinical leadership of the Department Chair in the past 20 years.
Highlights of Dr. Hsu's academic career previously include the following:
- Master in Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- Faculty member, Yale University and Duke University
- Chair and Frank P. Iacobell Professor, Department of OB/GYN, Wayne State University
- Specialist-in-Chief, OB/GYN, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan
- Chief, Gynecology Cancer at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, Michigan
- Director, Perinatal Research Initiative, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Project Site Manager, Perinatology Research Branch, National Institutes of Health
- Director, Center for Advanced Obstetrical Care and Research, Perinatology Research Branch, National Institutes of Health
- Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, NuHealth System/Nassau University Medical Center, Stony Brook School of Medicine, New York
- Professor with Tenure of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine, Stony Brook School of Medicine, New York
- Chair/Director and Professor with Tenure of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Westchester Medical Center, New York Medical College, New York
- Leon McGoogan Endowed Chair and Professor, University of Nebraska, Nebraska
Dr. Hsu is board certified in general obstetrics and gynecology and Maternal-Fetal Medicine subspecialty by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. His research has focused on great obstetrical syndromes, personalized obstetrics, specifically preeclampsia, and intra-amniotic infection during pregnancy. His work led to his election to the Board of Directors (and positions as secretary and treasurer) of the North American Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy. He is on the editorial boards and journal reviews for national and international journals and is a nationally well-recognized educational and research consultant. A well-funded researcher with nearly 300 publications and abstracts, he has been invited nationally and internationally to give numerous lectures and consult on pregnancy complications involving preeclampsia and high-risk pregnancy disorders.
Dr. Hsu is credited with developing an evidence-based set of interventions known as "Hsu's Bundle," which reduces C-section surgical site infections to nearly zero. This bundle was recognized by America's Essential Hospital (formerly the National Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems) in 2014 and published in the American Journal of Infectious Control in 2016. The "Hsu's Bundle" continues to be effective and lowered the surgical-site infection hysterectomy rate to zero at Detroit Medical Center in 2019 and 2020.
Dr. Hsu has been included in numerous lists of prestigious physicians, including America's TOP Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Best Doctors in America, and Best Doctor/TOP Doctor in New York Magazine.